Friday, November 7, 2014

D&D with Kids! Tools of the Trade


Tonight's game was postponed due to scheduling conflicts and believe me my youngest (Stealthy age 6) said many time he couldn't wait to play, "Dungeons of Dragons." No, I don't correct him cause I think it's cute! Despite not being able to play, we did get a bunch of D&D hype going on this week.


Let me begin this by saying that my kids know that I am a miniature addict. I have miniatures, upon miniatures upon miniatures. I have countless mini's for countless games in plastic, pewter, resin, and I believe I still have some old lead ones from when I was a child (I just dated myself, eek!). My boys each have taken turns helping me play various miniature games over their short lives. I have also let them play with various mini's from various games from time to time but only my Wizards Star Wars plastic mini's have I let them have free reign over to play with as they please. And what an amazing amount of fun they had with the.


So, with us playing in a D&D campaign, I decided early in the week to pull out a box of D&D plastic miniatures. Oh the look in their eyes when they dug into the box and witnessed all these great and wondrous creatures for the first time! Big and small they loved them all... Hey, that rhymed! Within minutes, and with no direction from me, they were separating them between good monsters and bad monsters and having small skirmishes in various parts of the table. When I asked how do you know which ones are bad and which are good, they both looked at me, shrugged, and said, "I dunno" almost in unison. I replied with an, "Ok then!" I just sat back and watched them play for the 30 or 40 minutes before bedtime. But right before bedtime, Stealthy looks to me and says, "Daddy, I want a miniature for my elf, Stealthy."

Ding ding ding! Light bulb. What a great idea! But not only will I let them pick out a miniature for their character but I'll also get them dice of their own! Start them on this long journey of geekdom the right way!

So, the next day after school, one at a time (cause their boys and would fight) I sat down with them to make their choices. I started on Google and did a search for each character type.. Elf Rogue miniature,  Elf Wizard miniature, etc. It didn't take long for them to find the perfect miniature. I then went to Amazon (free two day shipping) found the mini's and added them to the cart. I then looked through Amazon for Chessex Polyhedron Dice let them scroll through the colors until they found something they wanted and viola!!!! Every day afterwards they were hounding me. "My guy come in yet!?!" "Our dice come in yet?!?"

First up - Stealthy the Elf Rogue, as played by the Reaper Black Orchid Assassin.


 What's awesome about his pick in dice is that he scrolled through and just loved the colors. But once they came in I noticed that they are called "Gemini" dice.. and Stealthy is a Gemini! When I showed him what he had done, he was so amazed and excited. Then he showed mommy, and she says, "Awesome they are Rams colors!" She's a St. Louis Rams fan, go figure. But that brightened his day even more!

Next - Tiolin the Elf Wizard, as played by the Reaper Elf Warlock.

The first set of dice he saw, he fell in love with! Same with the miniature, it didn't take him long at all to find the perfect one for him. And as soon as he saw them in person he was all excited and said, "They look like Mutagen!" from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. His eyes lit up and he was super excited! You can also tell that he thinks his mini is cool by the hand gesture in the background.


So that's it for today. We are going to try and get in a game tomorrow night where they get to use their new miniature and dice. They can't wait.... Neither can I really!..

No comments:

Post a Comment